Thursday, March 8, 2012

St. Patrick's Day: Find the Gold!

To celebrate the upcoming St. Patty's Day I put together this sensory activity for Caitlyn. The goal was to find all of the "gold" under the rainbow! She got to keep whatever she found and put it in her piggy bank. It was quite fun for her. Even Izzy got to join in.


First I spread some coins out in the bottom of one of our sensory containers.

I used some Euro coins, because they looked more like gold to me, but you can use pennies or gold coin chocolates too!



 I buried them with a layer of green (dyed with food coloring) Epsom salt.




Then I made a rainbow on top with colored rice, made a couple of clouds with cotton balls,added some green beaded necklaces and a gemstone shamrock. Easy! And very visually stimulating!

My red is more pink than I wanted it to be, but you get the point.
 I set it out for her with some plastic cups and tools to help find the gold.

The invitation!

The first piece she found!
Throw that baby right in the cup!

Using the slotted spoon to sift through the salt and rice. Found another one!!

Goodbye beautiful rainbow! lol.
 She found all of them! But I would probably use less with a younger age group. She was starting to get bored of looking for them.

Caity's Pot O' Gold!!
 After all of the coins were out (I made sure by keeping count), we took out all of the gems and let Izzy get in on the action!

Of course, she had to put her feet in!
I guess she liked it!?!

She made a headpiece out of the necklaces :)
Thanks for visiting my blog! Check us out on Facebook by clicking the tab at the top!

No comments:

Post a Comment