Monday, February 13, 2012

Make Colored Rice

I wanted to make some colored rice for various craft projects and for use in the sensory bin, so I thought I would share how to do this with you. It is simple and even fun if you let the kiddos help out.

Here is what you need:

White rice

Food Coloring

Rubbing Alcohol

Containers for mixing

Containers for storing when complete

Wax paper or something similar





Measure 1 cup of rice into each container. You can do as many different colors as you like.


Add 1 teaspoon of rubbing alcohol plus 4-5 drops of food coloring to the rice and mix well. I find I get more even color when I use my hands to mix it. If you are worried about food coloring dying your hands, I hear a little vinegar cleans it right off. I just used soap and water between each color.



Even making the materials can be fun!!

We just did the four basic colors today.


 After they are all mixed well, lay out the pieces of wax paper, one for each color, and spread the rice into a thin layer. Let dry completely before storing. Takes about an hour.



Finished rice. This is 2 cups of each color.

There you have it, simple, right? If you aren't sure what you could do with this, check back in a day or two and take a look at what we decide to use it for!

Oh, and a quick plug here. If you like my blog, but you haven't yet checked us out on Facebook, click the Facebook Page tab at the top and give us a Like! I post pictures and status updates about things that don't require an entire blog post over there. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment